The story that has been passed down through the years!
Late 1948 -1959 (11 years)
Thompson Packing Co.
Owner – J. Oscar Thompson – slaughter house came first.
1960 - 1961
Bennett Ben H. Packing Co.
1961 - 1964 (3 years)
R. A. Rogers Jr.
Rogers Packing Co.
Built the meat market across the street from the slaughter house.
1965 - 1988 (23 years)
Shaw WM Carroll
Shaw’s Uvalde Meat Processing Plant
Started across the street in the original meat market, but then built the market that we know today at 508 S Wood St.
Date of New Meat Market (attached to slaughter house): 1973
This is the current building and location that the meat market is today. This allowed the animals to just be rolled into the cooler from the slaughter floor instead of having to carry a hindquarter across the street for processing.
November 1, 1988 (opening day of deer season) - Current: (28 years)
Patrick and Gail Jackowski purchased Uvalde Meat from John Carrol and Evelyn Shaw.